Re: [TenTec] Apartment antenna help

To: <wb5jnc@gulseth.net>,"'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Apartment antenna help
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:59:00 -0800
Al,

My uncle was in the same situation, living on the ground floor of an
assisted living apartment.  He was not allowed any outdoor antenna.

I built him a magnetic loop antenna for 40m, using parts I bought from the
Home Depot, plus purchasing new coax for the loop.  Since he only wanted one
band, I used a fixed capacitance made of coax to tune it to the band and
then built a tiny 'gimmick capacitor' using two pieces of the inner
conductor of the coax placed in close proximity of each other for the fine
tuning. He tuned by adjusting the gimmick capacitor (without power applied).

How did it work?  Well, living in Oklahoma, he was able to consistently
check into his daily net for his rag chews and work around the Midwest with
a good signal.  He only worked SSB with a 100w rig.

In the meantime MFJ has come out with a new magnetic loop antenna that also
tunes 40m.  If I had known that at the time (January 2005), we would have
simply bought that instead of building.

You read all kinds of reports about these antennas, both good and bad.  Of
course you can build something outdoors that works better, but this is
beyond a doubt the very best indoor antenna you can use and it is probably
just as good as a make-shift compromise antenna - though a couple of s-units
down on a good dipole.

If you want I can send you pictures of the loop I built for him.

73
Rick