Re: [TenTec] Orion & SDR1000 thoughts

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion & SDR1000 thoughts
From: "George Bennett" <g.m.bennett@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:16:15 -0500
Hi Martin

I have both the Orion I and the SDR-1000.  I bought the latter as a back up
and a "toy".  Overall it is excellent and probably the way of the future.  I
use the PreSonus Firebox and ShuttlePro2 with the SDR1K.

The main receiver on the Orion in MUCH better than the SDR1K.  Having a
second receiver rather than just a second VFO is also a big advantage.  The
receive and transmit audio quality is about equal.  The panadapter, spectrum
analyzer and scope (plus waterfall display) on the SDR1K are terrific.

The group at Flex are very helpful and accommodating to the new user.  I
have not experienced any software glitches that some of the power users and
programming types seem to hunt for.  The new releases have worked "out of
the box" without incident for me every time.  This truly is a constantly
improving radio and will continue to improve for some time.  Having said
that, there is some talk about finally changing the hardware next year to
include a second receiver as well as some other improvements.

It took less than a weekend to install, learn the manuals, and have
operating with some degree of expertise, the SDR1K.  That is far less time
than the Orion required.  I am 70 years old with no background or unusual
ability when it comes to computers.  I'm just not intimidated by them.

I usually use the Orion.  I always use the Orion if the band is noisy,
changing rapidly or is otherwise really difficult.

73,

George Bennett