Re: [TenTec] battery life

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] battery life
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:50:38 -0600
The original question was concerning the use of a car battery, being a
device designed to produce lots of amps for a short period of time.  The
cranking cycle to be exact and not being discharged to any great extent.

By comparison, radios typically are low current devices operated over a long
period of time.  Yes, the GEL cell would be a better choice or perhaps a
marine deep cycle battery.  As Dr. Johnson said in his post, the charge
system for a GEL cell should be a fairly precision voltage.

Someone else pointed out that the Orion needs some 13 or more volts to
operate totally successfully.  I haven't actually put one on the adjustable
supply to see where it began to fall apart operationally but you can be sure
it won't be far below 13 volts.

As to running batteries in parallel, keep in mind that the lowest voltage
battery, even a 0.1 volt lower in the group, will pull the higher voltage
batteries to that value.  I would prefer not to parallel batteries but
arrange to switch between two, thus using one while charging the other.

73
Bob, K4TAX
A connoisseur of fine radios