Re: [TenTec] General coverage RX/XCVR suggestions?

To: <wb5jnc@gulseth.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] General coverage RX/XCVR suggestions?
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:33:26 -0400
Al,

>From your TT list, I have an RX320 and think it would work well for you.
With a decent antenna (I use my Carolina Windom 160), I get excellent AM BC
reception. The SW reception is also very good. It does well on CW reception.
It does require a computer or similar controller, but the computer doesn't
have to be very fancy. You might have an old one that is otherwise unused
that you could use, but that does increase the footprint.

For the AM BC reception you might want to look at the GE Superradio III.
These are popular with AM BC DXers and are reasonably (compared to ham gear)
priced (about $60).

If you don't have one, you may want to get a catalog from Universal Radio
(www.universal-radio.com). The first half of the catalog features on many SW
receivers (the last half is ham gear).  The portable SW receivers have
improved in recent years. You may be able to find one of these for under
$200 that fits your receiving requirements, although few would do well with
CW.

73,
Mark