[TenTec] Fw: Rob Sherwood on Orion II

To: "Ten-Ten Reflector" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fw: Rob Sherwood on Orion II
From: "Lynn Lamb" <w4nl@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:06:59 -0400
Thanks Bill for Robs words on the Orion..   Couple of comments for potential
owners who read this reflector and as some say get the wrong impression.  We
are open to hearing criticism on this great reflector and we can dish it out
too, but these comments are just singing the song for the Orions.  A dear
late friend use to say often 'compared to what?'.  Well folks I can say I've
compared it to many many rigs.. enough.

Agree as would Ten-Tec I think, that the Orion isn't for everyone, but let
 me offer another scenario perhaps different from most of the 'low end of 40
 during the contest' comments and the numbers many don't understand or care
about.

 I'm sitting on 40 SSB with my buddies on Sat morning.  It's awful with QRM
 believe me, but after 15 years it's still good with my friends.  The QSOs
 are everywhere, but I slide between others perhaps 2 or 3 kHz off.
 Frankly I don't have any problems coping my friends with the Orion....
others do have problems with me at times..

My friends do not run much power nor are they using a beam.  Some times
others complain and we move a little either way, but they are not using
Orions.  I don't run max power and with the Orion as you know we can cut our
transmitted band width and I never run it wider than 2550Hz at 150 Hz L.F.
rolloff with almost no compression.  I'm not broad as others may be.  Point
is, the receiver is just that good and wish everyone had one.  Weak signals
are NOT desensed by a strong RF environment and no one can buy this at this
level in another rig on the planet.

 I don't operate 75, but from what I've heard some of the same thing goes on
 down there and likewise Orions could come in handy.

 If one operated only in an area/band that isn't bothered with close QRM, go
 get another rig, you don't need the Orion receiver.  Lots of good rigs out
 there.

Being a CW bloat, I notice key clicks a lot but again with the Orion
 they are not there.  Orion's and a few other rigs have the capability to
 control the rise/fall time and that is good.  The Orion defaults at
 5ms... .change it to at least 7ms.. I even use 10 at times, but never 5ms.
 As this is increased it cuts down on QSK speed.. perhaps 40wpm!  If you
want
 to hear a good note listen to Bill W4ZV on 160 most nights and he runs at
 7ms I believe.  He and I are very conscious of others with rigs not capable
of what
 the Orion can do FOR OTHERS and therefore HATE key clicks.

So if you are shopping, not only consider yourself but others as they will
benefit when Orions are on your desk.

 FWIW... Lynn W4NL