[TenTec] OMNI VI hissing noise?

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI hissing noise?
From: "OE3ZK Gerhard" <oe3zk@aon.at>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:11:55 +0200
For one year I own a OMNI VI (upgraded to VI+). I'm very pleased with the radio
in CW contesting, especially since I upgraded it with a 600 Hz INRAD roofing
filter.

Comparing it to my other radios, a TS-870S and a Elecraft K2, I find that the
OMNI VI+ internal noise is rather high. It is a high pitched hissing tone I can
eliminate by reducing RF gain and turning on the low pass filter (LP) and the
noise reduction (NR).

I just wonder if this is a fault or if it is usual with this radio?

73
Gert, OE3ZK, FOC#1858