Re: [TenTec] Orion II Freqency response graph

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II Freqency response graph
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:03:38 -0500
> > if the ssb curve can't
> > be changed, the solution is not to force it but to find another rig
> > with the desired response.

EQ is not "forcing" a radio to do something it's trying not to do.  It's
standard practice.

> The v1 Orion1 low end ssb tx response is definitely more
> extended (than the
> O2 or v2 O1) as well.

That's true.

The AM response curve in v2/II, as someone pointed out, is more "broadcast
quality" from a low frequency response perspective.  Well, maybe.  Even if
it were perfectly flat EQ would still be required because what you really
need is a rising response starting around the the 800-1000 Hz area and up
for presence and articulation.  But any "flat" transmitter will need it.
It's not an Orion issue.  It's very easy to make v1 or v2 sound good on AM,
although I think v1 had bit better high frequency response.

The real problem isn't that EQ is required (any radio can benefit from it),
but that you can't use the same settings for both SSB and AM since the
natural transmit audio response curves in v2/II are so wildly different.  As
far as I'm concerned, that's the real problem.  And represents a very
unfortunate design choice.  Someone wasn't thinking about the implications

Grant/NQ5T