Re: [TenTec] SO2R

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SO2R
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:54:02 -0500
For simple S02R,

Rule 1),  Never both radios on the same band.

    IF You want to use the Orion's 2nd VFO on the same band,  then that will
work, but never two radios on the same band.

Rule 2),  Each Radio has it's own antenna.

RULE 3),  ALWAYS use the RADIO's band data output to switch antenna filters
and amplifiers,   ( I've run into a number of issues where the computer said
one thing but the radio said something else,  If I had transmitted that way,
I would have damaged something...)

Use band pass filters like the 419 A or W3NQN to isolate the desired band
and reject all others.  If you have lots of coax and paint cans, you can
make stubs that also work well.  The stub acts like a short or similar to
anything but the desired band.

Use a 2X6 antenna switch box to split the antennas to two radios,  and then
another pair of them may be needed if you use the W3NQN band pass filters.
Array Solutions and DX engineering I think make these with all the safety
features.    I built my 2X6 boxes because of the costs.

Then you need something switch them,  Most people use rotory switches,   but
be careful that it locks out if two radios attempt to connect together.   I
preferr the Hamation touch screen switch and relay drivers.

So Moral of the story,  Use one radio per band with the Orion.   Use Band
Pass filters that are controlled by the Orion.

*** Really Advanced ***

I have played with S02R4V.  That is using both VFO's on both radios.
Getting all the audio right is one thing,  then managing the software to
alternate the VFO's are another.  I've found the A/B switch usefull there..

On 80 Meters and 160 Meters,  I've found it better to use two VFO's on the
SAME Frequency, but with Different Antennas.  Works better than anything
I've tried....

It can get fun,  Start small, and work up.

I'm still a novice by comparison to the big contestors.

Best wishes,
Rich
K5SF

Best wishes,