Re: [TenTec] Hearing disabled CW OP Seeks Special Omni Filter

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hearing disabled CW OP Seeks Special Omni Filter
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:22:38 -1000
I should have also said that any of the 6.3 MHz IF filters are
compatible with the "lowered tone " filter, because all you have to do
is adjust the PBT to make the bandpass of the 6.3 MHz IF coincident with
that of the 9 MHz IF. Also the Inrad 765 is the most similar filter to
the Ten-Tec 221 as far as center frequency and bandwidth is concerned.

When it comes to the question of which other 9 MHz filters are
"compatible" with either the Ten-Tec 221 or Inrad 765, that really
depends on what you mean by compatible. Neither Ten-Ten nor Inrad makes
a slightly wider bandwidth filter that is also centered on the same
frequency as the 221 or 765. All of their 9 MHz filters that are wider
are also centered at higher frequencies, and have various degrees of
overlap with the bandpass of the 221 or 765.

I spent some time with some graph paper, drawing all the various filter
bandpasses from 9.000 to 9.300 MHz to see how they all compare, and how
they might work together. I would suggest you try this yourself. That is
probably a good way to predict what you would like in filter selections,
although when you try it you may find your prediction was not absolutely
correct. I suspect this is why we see so much filter swapping traffic on
this reflector.

I'd love to see an after market 9MHz IF board for the Omni VI with room
for more filters.

DE N6KB