[TenTec] CW received tone frequency with Omni VI

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] CW received tone frequency with Omni VI
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 09:36:44 -1000
In the Omni VI, you can get any received CW audio tone frequency you
like, using any 9 MHz IF filter you like, by adjusting the BFO
frequency. The problem is then that your transmit and/or receive
frequency calibration will be off by the amount that the BFO is adjusted
away from specifications, and the received CW tone no longer matches the
transmit sidetone when the RF frequencies are zero beat. This could all
be solved with some custom firmware.

Using this method, Ten-Tec could have reduced the number of 9 MHz filter
models necessary to achieve narrow CW high note, narrow CW low note or
anything in between. The model 219 and 221 could have been a single
filter with two different BFO frequencies used. Same thing with the
model 216 and 217 (although 217 is 8 poles and 216 only 6 poles).

I'm sure Ten-Tec is not interested in marketing any further upgrades to
the Omni series, preferring to move forward with the Orion. Just as
Drake R4s have aftermarket upgrades that keep them in the top receiver
performance rankings, I can see the possibility of a new 9 MHz IF board
and BFO (tx audio board) for the Omni VI radios. If Jack Giehl can write
improved firmware for the Paragon, it can be done for the Omni VI, I think.

DE N6KB