Re: [TenTec] 2.033

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.033
From: Lin Davis <linbdavis@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 23:40:10 -0400
Hi Grant, etc,

What you say about the "distortion" actually being the noise that had been
suppressed until the cw element or ssb signal raised the gain is accurate.
There
is added distortion, though, so it has a different sound.

At the risk of boring some readers, I'll attempt to figure this out.

Let's see, a normal gain stage has constant gain,

  out = a * in, where a is the gain (and a fixed value)

But the NR, which I believe is a downward expander, is a non-constant gain (or
attenuation, if a < 1), and more importantly, is a function of the input level,
so

  out = a(in) * in

If we figure that the gain is proportional to the input,

  a(in)= b * in, where b is a constant (and might be what the user can adjust)

then the equation probably looks like this,

  out = b*in * in

or

  out = b*in^2

Now since the input signal, in, is made up of various signals, noise being one
of them, and since this is a nonlinear function (a modulator/mixer) then one
can
see that all kinds of intermodulation products are produced, causing the
raspiness.

It's been a while since I studied this stuff, so if someone wants to correct or
supplement this, by all means, have at it.

73,
Lin
WB1AIW

Bonus material:

Not an expert, but want to learn and also help others to understand what cool
stuff is behind the front panel, if they are interested.

I very much enjoy my O2 and I think T-T is an admirable company. As I find
anomalies, however, I will post them to this group and to dits and bits. I
think
it's important to notify other users (and obviously T-T).

I also want to go on reading what other people discover about the O1 and O2,
and
the various firmware releases, even though they may be frustrated and come
across with strong opinions. Bring it on! Let's figure it out and find
work-arounds, if possible. Also, all questions that may seem stupid, post them
anyway. Ok, backing away from the keyboard now....:)