[TenTec] Used Orion or new Orion II?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Used Orion or new Orion II?
From: "Jim" <pywacker@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 21:05:06 -0400
ORION II

I am the current owner of 9 hf rigs and I use my original Orion almost all
the time.  I use ver 1.372 and it operates very well. It has the most
sensitive reciever I own and has great ssb audio and of course full break-in
cw.

I have thought about the O II but I find the Orion original does all I
need.
I use it with a alpha 87 a amp and either the steppir 3 ele 20-6 beam or
the
gap voyager.. I use computer control for the radio, amp and steppir.   very
nice for contesting and DXing.

as a comparison I have 2 857d's mobile, an ft 847 mobile,  a ts 2000,  a
corsair II, an omni c, a scout, a 746 pro and of course an Original  Orion.

I thought about getting the new one, but I don't see enough improvement to
spend $4500.  I got my Orion used a couple of years ago for $3400 and you
can
get a used one now for $2600 no tuner, $2900 with tuner ( recommended) and
about $3400 with tuner from Ten Tec, with a warranty ( used and checked
out..

My opinion is go for the used Orion and see how you like it, and it will
hold its value  if you want to up grade.

tom N6AJR