Re: [TenTec] Orion v1 - Orion v2/II NR Comparison

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion v1 - Orion v2/II NR Comparison
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:09:04 -0500
>  >On the downside, if you are using NR on the v1, AN doesn't
> work - but the manual notch does.
>
>          Grant, this was your only surprising comment to me,
> but perhaps I simply need some clarification.  Do you mean
> with NR and AN both activated?  I've tried my AN with both
> activated and it does seem to work.

This is something that bugged me from time to time, that never did get much
press on the v1.  If NR is on, AN is ineffective (or perhaps less effective)
although the manual notch works just fine.  I noticed it again while looking
at the FFT, and it was clearly obvious, at least with only one carrier in
the passband.  If AN is on, and you flip on NR, the notch just goes away.

To be fair, I only accidentally checked that out in 1.371.  I didn't see
what happened in 1.372 or 1.373b5, but my recollection from the dim past is
that 1.372 also exhibited the behavior.  Like past recollections, could be
wrong :-)  If I have time I'll look at it again more closely.

>          Thanks for making the measurements and dispelling
> some of the myths and "magic" in this area.  Yes, V2's NR
> needs some work, but even V1's NR did nothing that simply
> narrowing BW would not do.

There are some myths.  I had my own set of them.  I think I quite prefer the
Orion II noise reduction on SSB vs the v1.  I know even my own measurements
make it look like v1 is "better" in some sense, and I can't explain (or
don't know enough to explain) why the II clearly sounds like there is more
NR happening than shows up in the numbers.  Especially since the spectral
impact of NR between v1 and the II is so dramatically different (at wide
bandwidths). There is some distortion that results in the Orion II that
isn't in v1, but the sound overall of NR on SSB seems somewhat cleaner and
less muddy to me.  Both are effective, however.  I have not yet done a side
by side on CW at narrower bandwidths to draw any conclusions by ear.

Bugs and other issues that could be better aside, there are some things
about the II that are different, but I'm not convinced yet that the v1 is
necessarily better.  I have not messed with 2.056 much, so I can't really
comment about the v2 firmware on the v1 platform.  Overall I'm still pretty
darned impressed by both Orions, and would be happy to own either one  --
if the buggies in 2.03x get fixed soon :-)

Grant/NQ5T