[TenTec] Mobile CW

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Mobile CW
From: john.brewer@us.schneider-electric.com
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:58:08 -0400
It's certainly quite possible to work CW mobile without a safety risk.... if
you would have
asked me this before I tried it, I'd have disagreed too, but after a number of
months of just
copying QSOs in my head, it's become second nature, and far far less demanding
than talking on
a cell phone, for example.  The great by product is that I've  became very good
at copying CW
in my head....and though I'm only at the 25-28 WPM or so range, it's allowed me
to break
through a barrier that was in place because I was in the habit of "stick"
copying everything.
Now I can't stick copy (I think this is akin to touch typing. . . at some
point, looking at the
keys becomes a burden, not an aid!)

CW mobile works far better (with the normally inefficient antennas) than mobile
SSB, and has
really become a joy. I use a 706MkII....paddles are a set of homebrew contacts
about 3" long
that are clipped to a bracket extending from the console / armrest in my Jeep.
My hand drapes
normally onto the homebrew paddles, I copy in my head, I use a post it note on
my steering
wheel to jot down a call and I feel far less distracted in doing so than
yakking on a
cellphone.

Living is a risk...we all pick our operating point.

John K5MO