Re: [TenTec] re Scout...the VW bug

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] re Scout...the VW bug
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 17:32:34 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/2006 10:42:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
k5uj@hotmail.com writes:

Let's  step into my time machine and go back to  1997:

http://web.archive.org/web/19980221023712/www.tentec.com/pricelis.htm

We  see a new Scout listed for $549.  The modules were $29 each.  power
supply was $79.
So, a new Scout for all bands 160 through 10 meters  with a p.s. totaled up
at $889.  Okay, I stand corrected; not a  kilobuck rig and I apologize for
that error.  But if I had had 889  bucks, i'd have picked up something else.

73,
rob /  k5uj

>Stuart
>K5KVH

====================================

I got mine for just under $400 used, in nice shape with NB and all  modules.
I run it through a ldg z 11 autotuner to a shared sloper. the  scout is a
backup to a backup for use when the power goes out, ( I have a rig  runner and
set of solar panels charging a battery bank, and the scout is more  forgiving
ofm  poor voltage than anything else I have.  it has its  place and sometimes
I use it to check into the swap nets.  fifty watts on a  wire and they give me
compliments on the audio.

I have an orion, the scout, a ts2000, a corsair II, and omni c, and icom
746pro, in the shack and an ft 847 in the truck and an ft 857d in both  cars.
most of the time I use the orion, and some times I use the corsair  II for nets
because of the lower hiss level from the PTO. most of the time I use  the
orion, but the scout is fun to play with and easy to use.  like a no  brainer
that
works.. I have 4 or 5 hf amps and associated tuners for most of  this stuff.

YMMV

tom N6AJR