Re: [TenTec] Omni-VI+ Phase Nosie and INRAD roofing filter mod?

To: kg6tt@arrl.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni-VI+ Phase Nosie and INRAD roofing filter mod?
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:58:19 -0400
Jerry Volpe wrote:
> Test Two: Reverse the roles. With the Corsair II transmitting at even
> the least output possible the Omni-VI+ presented 'keying' noise across
> the entire 20-meter band with a few false signals to boot! Inserting
> different first or second IF filters did little to reduce this.
> Eeeaaoooouuucchhhhh! Granted the noise floor alternately raising and
> lowering with the keyed Corsair was maybe an S-3 to S-4 level but having
> that noise constantly present for 24 plus hours..... Hmmmmm.

I've got one of the first INRAD roofing filters made - I chose the 600Hz
model for my Omni 6 as I operate CW.  I don't care what kind of signal
is adjacent to the filter skirts - it doesn't get through.  Transmitters
with bad key clicks can if the clicky transmitter is producing signals
on the frequency you're receiving but that isn't a fault of the receiver.

For example, I can fire up my ICOM or Drake gear and enable the 600Hz
INRAD filter with the 1.8KC standard filter enabled - as long as I'm
outside the bandpass of the roofing filter the other rigs can't be heard.

Does this help any?  The INRAD roofing filter is excellent.

--
73 Jason N1SU

Jason Buchanan - Boxboro, MA
Website: http://n1su.com/