Re: [TenTec] Orion II on order, filter questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II on order, filter questions
From: Martin Ewing <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 15:11:17 -0400

Bill Tippett wrote:
...For this reason, unless you are expecting
extremely close-spaced interference (such as in contests,
multi-transmitter environments, etc), you may not need
ANY optional filters.

Right. The issue is whether you need to pull out a very weak signal in the presence of very strong signals *inside the default roofing filters' passbands*. As a non-contester, that's rarely my problem - even though I often like to work weak stations. I'm happy with the default Orion I filters.

For some situations, close-in IMD really does matter, but the current emphasis on having many roofing filters is overdone as far as most ham operation is concerned. The default filters are already a lot better than most rigs provide.

73 Martin AA6E