Re: [TenTec] 252G Power Supply question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 252G Power Supply question
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:33:34 -0400
Someone else can tell you the procedure.

But I wish to alert you to a potential problem.  The 252G and supplies of
that genre did not have a crowbar circuit.  This means that if the pass
transistor shorts, the supply feeds some 25 volts to the rig.  Ten-Tec used
to sell what they called an OVP, an overvoltage protective circuit.  That
was a small circuit board which mounted inside the rear panel of the supply.
The large red wire that goes to the power output is cut and soldered to that
circuit board.  You can easily spot that O VP if it is installed.

Recently Ariel K4AAL provided us with a better solution, a self-contained
device that performed the function.  I quote his email below.