Re: [TenTec] Orion firmware vs keyclicks with Alpha amplifier

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion firmware vs keyclicks with Alpha amplifier
From: William Addams <wiladdamsham@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:55:40 -0700 (PDT)
This was a classic example of them changing something that everyone
complained about, and in doing so, generated a new side effect, a problem
of lesser degree of seriousness.
.
So they are darned if they do, and darned if they don't.

They have to decide, based on the users inputs, which is the lesser of
two evils.
And realize, that along the way, some people may find this specific
issue and find a way to work around it, or ask for a way to handle it, or
some people will find it totally unacceptable, when in reality, a
simple change makes it work flawlessly now. But there are some that are just
too stubborn to see past the end of their noses, and will berate TT for
it forever, instead of being the true HAM that they signed up to be
when they got their license, and work with them to make it better

Nick T - NT1A <jaz@ntphoto.com> wrote: Hello All -

An update on this issue which turns out to be a simple fix.

I have been using the keying loop with a cable that Alpha has
described on their website. It works great with V 1.37X but causes
clicks with V2 software.

I contacted Ten Tec and they told me that V2 contained changes to the
keying waveform and timing.

I removed the keying loop cable, plugged in a regular RCA cable to the
amp out jack, turned off the keying loop and the clicks were gone. I
got clean signal reports now using v 2.056.

 Cheers,

 -Nick NT1A