Re: [TenTec] Opinions from Scout Owners?

To: wb2vuf@qsl.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Opinions from Scout Owners?
From: Caitlyn Martin <k7vo@mizuhoradio.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 20:59:12 -0500
In fairness to the competition...

The problems with driver failures on the Icom IC-703 were limited to
early production runs.  Any newer radio or any version which has had
the service bulletins performed is rock sold.  It runs a good long time
on it's external battery.  It really is an excellent radio.

The problems with finals failures on the Yaesu FT-817 were limited to
the original version.  Such failures are very rare on the FT-817ND and
usually attributed to abuse. In addition, failures are really a tiny
percentage of the over 100,000 units sold worldwide.  The FT-817 is the
best selling radio Yaesu has had since the FT-101 series.  It's pretty
much ubiquitous among QRPers.  Battery life is also much improved on the
FT-817ND and aftermarket batteries really can give a reasonable amount
of operating time.

For both of these radios a CW filter is a very good idea.  It truly is
essential on the FT-817.  The W4RT dual filter option is the way to go
on this rig, and yes, it adds $269 to the price.  Take that into
consideration before buying the rig.

Tiny controls?  Why yes, what do you expect on a radio that is 1.5"
tall?

I, personally, don't find 10W much of a limitation, especially on CW.
I loved the Scout in it's day but the IC-703 has it beat hands down.
Of course, the Ten Tec Argonaut V outperforms the IC-703 IMNSHO.

73,
Caity
K7VO