Re: [TenTec] Paragon II and SWR meter reading

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon II and SWR meter reading
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:28:23 -0400
Pat and Allen and Denton....

What you are seeing is pretty normal, with the exception of the AGC
or the (rcvr) RF gain affecting the readings.

First it's helpful to realize that you are using ham equipment and
not commercial test equipment. The most accurate reading should be
the one in the rig, provided it was calibrated over the ham band
frequencies and you had a known good 50 ohm load connected directly
(and NOT through a piece of coax) to the rig's output coax connector.

Ham SWR meters are, in general, relative indicators, not absolute
indicators. Even the 'standard' Bird watt meters are spec'ed at +/-
5% and that is only with the meter indicating in it's mid-range. Most
hams connect the SWR bridge to their rig by using coax cable, which
definitely affects the accuracy of the reading. Even 'good quality'
coax cable have some inductance and some capacitance associated with
it's length. So even if you just use one foot of 'good quality' coax
between your rigs output connector and the SWR bridge, the rigs
indication, in most cases will certainly be different from the  SWR
bridge's indicated reading. The other part of the equation is what do
you have as your load when your are measuring SWR? If you are using
your antenna for the load, the all accuracy bets are off, simply
because you really have no clue what impedance you are presenting the
SWR bridge and your rig.

The important thing is that you tune your tuner, or in the case with
no tuner, you adjust your antenna length, for minimum reflected power.

I think it would not be worthwhile to expect ham SWR bridges, no
matter who makes them, to read identical, in the same set up. Before
you get concerned that different SWR bridges do not read the same,
see if you can find any manufacturers specification for accuracy. IF
you can find those spec's, do they tell you at what load and at what
frequency are they giving you the specs.

What your after with ham gear is a reasonablly accurate (say, +/- 20
to 30%) SWR indication. I've never seen a 'precision' 50 ohm load
(meaning they cost around $600 bucks) for ham use, however they are
available for commercial use. Precision meaning 52 ohm +/-j0
certified across the frequency range of interest. And they are only
guaranteed to maintain their precision as long as they are never
overheated. Most ham test equipment will give you a good relative
indication, which is normally 'good enough' for ham use. Some
commercial and most microwave applications is where true accuracy is
required and that 'true accuracy' cost as much as ten times more that
ham test equipment.

Tom - W4BQF