Re: [TenTec] Argosy I "Thump"

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy I "Thump"
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:37:06 -0500
On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 13:39 -0400, ynkedragon@aol.com wrote:
>  I think the mods I have seen for the Argosy provide for the addition of a
> variable i.f. gain gain control.  Wouldn't a switchable -10dB or -20db
> attenuator at or near the front end of the Argosy provide the RF attenuation
> you suggest, and be simpler to implement?
>
> 73,  Blair k3yd

Sure an attenuator will work. It isn't as conveniently variable, but
with the typical TenTec provisions for a separate receive antenna, and
external antenna relay could allow the relay to be outside the radio
with no radio modifications at all. There's been a switchable attenuator
with 1 dB steps in the ARRL handbook for years, kit even available. The
relay might slow QSK but I don't like QSK anyway. I don't like having my
thoughts interrupted while sending.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,