Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:46:09 -0400
> IC7800.  I have the SDR-1000 and it keeps getting better all the
> time, but there are still some hardware limitations that the
> developers have not come up with software work-arounds for.

The primary limitation is their use of a single PC microprocessor to
accomplish many parallel tasks.  It's a commendable start -- but when Flex
and other manufacturers develop an SDR architecture that distributes tasks
across multiple processors, they will have a serious product for the mass
market.

Adding a good front panel user interface is also going to be necessary in
order to attract a large market share.  I suspect that as successful as the
Pegasus was, Ten-Tec's decision to add a front panel to it and call it a
Jupiter was the direct result of customer feedback in order to seek
continued growth in revenue.

My understanding is that Flex's new concept radio will shift a large portion
of the processing function away from the PC and include it within the radio
hardware.  Since so much of the performance depends on the quality of the
audio interface to the sound card device, any slight abnormally in hum,
buzz, ground loops, etc., can have a profound effect on basic performance.
Before I would try a Flex, I would want to see them incorporate a
differential, 3-stage instrumentation input (for high CMRR immunity) so that
it can better adapt to some of the unknown powering and grounding conditions
around the shack.

SDR holds great promise for the future, especially as the A-D function
gradually moves from AF, to IF, and finally to RF.  But at the end of the
day, the product has to feel like a radio and not a computer.  It also has
to quickly respond to what we want, when we want it -- whether its fast
band-changing during a contest, or ultra fast CW QSK.  Otherwise, we may as
well just make Echlolink contacts all day long.

Paul, W9AC