Re: [TenTec] An accessory idea for the new Omni VII

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] An accessory idea for the new Omni VII
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:14:03 -1000
Hi Paul,

The FCC part 97 sections that deal with the use of the amateur bands for
control links, controlling radio systems that are operating on other
bands, are specifying which amateur bands can and can not be used for
control links. Those sections are not stating that a control link must
be a radio link on an amateur band. You can use any kind of link you
like, wire, fiber, laser, neutrino subspace, whatever, provided you
really do have control and you don't violate some other section of the
FCC rules. You can use an unlicensed 2.4 GHz link, you could even use
modified cordless phones, or possibly even some other part 15 device on
just about any frequency IF you really have control, such that
unlicensed folks cannot transmit over your remote controlled
transmitter. Your level of success is likely to be higher if you do use
an amateur band control link, because you can probably run more power
(on the control link) and not just anybody can use a device that is
likely to QRM your link and put you out of control of your transmitter.

DE N6KB