Re: [TenTec] [QRP-L] Help Selecting a Directional Antenna

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [QRP-L] Help Selecting a Directional Antenna
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 03:14:16 +0000
JC Smith wrote:
> Hi Doc,
>
> If you are willing to spend a few bucks, I don't think you can beat the
> StepIR (http://www.steppir.com/).  It's like having a monobander tuned for
> every frequency you chose to operate.  They come in all sizes (1-4 elements)
> and there are even StepIRs for 40 - 6 meters.
>
> Worth a look anyway.
>
> 72 - JC, K0HPS

I beg to disagree.  You can spend much less and get much more.  The
Force 12 antennas, the Bencher Skyhawk and, to a lesser extent, the
Cushcraft X-9 and X-7 should beat the pants off it.  The "why" is that
the Steppir does nothing about proper spacing.  The Steppirs are, of
necessity, compromises.  You basically get a trapless antenna with
proper spacing for 15m.  The spacing is too close for proper 20m
operation and too wide for proper 10m operation.  You get low SWR but
what do we know about SWR as an indication of antenna performance?

The Cushcraft design uses a log cell with yagi reflectors and directors.
  Traps are used only in the directors.  The Force 12 and Bencher
Skyhawk designs use no traps anywhere.

I haven't seen the Steppir 40m design, but I'm guessing that it is
loaded somewhere.  If it is, it isn't going to outperform my 2 element
shorty forty.  If the Steppir isn't loaded, it is a mechanical nightmare.

Dave Heil K8MN