Re: [TenTec] Help Selecting a Directional Antenna

To: <dock0evz@earthlink.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help Selecting a Directional Antenna
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:18:13 -0700
I would have to agree with those who mentioned the StepIR antennas.  I don't
have one yet, but the research I have done indicates that it's a good
compromise between mono-banders on each band, interlaced beams and various
other schemes if you want true multi-band coverage.  They have a 3-element
unit that can be ordered with a linear loaded, motor controlled 40/30 meter
element to give all-band coverage on 40/30/20/17/15/12/10/6 with one
feedline, one boom, one tower and 1:1 SWR on all frequencies except 30
meters where it's around 1.7:1.

A local ham here who is on the DXCC Honor Roll bought a 4-element 20-6
version several months ago and has been extremely happy with it.  Our club
used a 4-element StepIR and the massive MonstIR on Field Day and we believe
that we will come out #1 or #2 nationally in the very competitive 2A class.
I hear more StepIR's on the air now than any other antenna.

I have been planning my "retirement" antenna system which, if it ever
happens, will have 4-element StepIR's at 45' and 90', a MonstIR at 135' and
a 2-element Force 12 for 75/80 at 145' on a rotating Rohn 65 tower.  A pipe
dream at this point, but maybe someday....

Ron N6AHA