Re: [TenTec] Pegasus Speaker

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Pegasus Speaker
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:44:16 -0400
Mark,

You can connect an external speaker to the jack that feeds the internal
speaker. However, you need to make sure that the external speaker is not
grounded.  You can get around the no ground limitation by using an isolating
transformer. On suggestion from N4PY, I made up an interface using a couple
of PA system 70 volt line transformers back to back (secondary to secondary)
to keep the impedance the same. The ones I use came from Radio Shack a few
years ago (cat no 32-1031B), but I think they were discontinued a couple of
years ago.

Another alternative that I am now using is to feed the line output (from the
Accessory port) to an old MFJ 784B DSP filter. The filter seems to work well
with the Pegasus and allows for much narrower filtering than the Pegasus
has. The pinout on the Accessory jack is the same as the TNC pinout on the
784B except that you may want to wire pin 5 on the 784B to the External T/R
jack on the Pegasus so that the filter will be bypassed on Tx (so you can
hear your sidetone if it is outside the passband of the filter).

73,
Mark