Re: [TenTec] Dumb Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dumb Question
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:47:31 -0400
A crystal calibrator is an accessory that provides a marker tone at known
exact frequency points.  Normally, they provide a tone at each 25 khz point.
So for 20 meters, you would have a tone at 14.000, 14.025, 14.050, 14.075,
and so on.  This is used with older analog radios to make sure you are in
the band and not slightly out of the band because of errors in frequency
readout.

For the centuy 21, you could easily be off 5 khz of more in dial accuracy.
The calibrator helps a lot to make sure you are not out of your band limits.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain
Hays, NC 28635