Re: [TenTec] Vertical radial question

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Vertical radial question
From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:51:04 -0600
Vince,
        The previous responses were on the mark.  Let me add my experience.
Due to the location of a tree on my city lot, I had to place my Butternut
HF2V vertical toward the east end of my small back yard.  Only to the west
can I put radials down that are about 60' long.  (Rule of thumb I'd been
given is to lay radials as far as they'll go in each direction.)  Due to
placement, radials to the North, South and East directions are significantly
shorter - only about 15' long to the east side.  Yet, on 40m, I have had NO
trouble working in all directions.  In fact, this antenna is what got me
through 40m and 80m DXCC.  However on 160m, it is noticeably weak to the NE
and E.  At that frequency all the radials are too short.  (Ground
conductivity here in central Texas is nil - we sit right on top of
limestone.)  So, best case, do what you can to lay radials as long as you
can (if they're on the ground) and get on the air!

        73,  Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas
www.ac5aa.com