Re: [TenTec] Vertical radial question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Vertical radial question
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:53:54 -0700
I'd want to read chapter 9 of the ON4UN Low Band DXing book and chapter
6 of the ARRL Antenna Book. A ton of information on verticals and their
ground systems. Maybe take a look at W8JI's website too. You didn't
specify the freq but comments in these sources can be applied anywhere.

When conditions are less than perfect I like the Alfred E. Newman
approach to antennas: "What, Me Worry? It's the Best I Can Do!"

Yes, it will affect your vertical, but if it's what you have, it's what
you have. WFWL. Based on my own experience and the fact that I hate
burying radials when there's a good alternative, you'll probably reduce
your ground losses if you use elevated radials regardless of their
configuration. The advantage is you need fewer radials and ground losses
decrease rapidly as radial height increases.

73 Art