Re: [TenTec] [orion565] Astron Power Supplies

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [orion565] Astron Power Supplies
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:18:07 -0600
I beleive Astron allows the use of two units to get 24 volts,  so the
negative needs to be isolated.  I don't think it's hard to bring it to
ground,  and it will help in some RFI siturations.

Generally there is no problem with the Astron Supply, however,   in a high a
current situation, ( antenna badly mis-tuned)  the current the final
transistors will draw is not enough to trip the Astron over-current
protection, but is enough to burn the finals out.

I recommend using the 963 supply with the Orion,  as it will shut down
faster than any fuse or airpax on the DC line when the over current happens
and save your finals.

Best wishes,
rich
K5SF