Re: [TenTec] [orion565] Astron Power Supplies

To: <orion565@yahoogroups.com>,"'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [orion565] Astron Power Supplies
From: "Chuck Frame" <n6psn@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 15:50:53 -0800
From: "Larry Menzel" <retire@means.net>
To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>;
<orion565@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 3:08 PM
Subject: [orion565] Astron Power Supplies

Hey, guys,

I've been using a 35amp Astron supplies in my shack.  I have been running my
Orion off it since I got them, and with no problems.

It crapped out the other day, and I believe I read or heard someone say that
the negative post should be grounded to the case of the supply. The one I
have been using does NOT.

Well I just got a replacement supply, and I opened the case, and I can see
that indeed, the negative post is isolated with insulators on both sides of
the negative post.  Do I recall Paul Clinton telling me that the post should
be connected to the case?

Number one, if so, why doesn't Astron do that to begin with?  And second
question, will it do any harm to do so?

Your opinions would be much appreciated before I put this one into service.

TIA.

Larry, N0XB
Northfield, MN

Yahoo! Groups Links