Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 17:01:30 -0500
Jerry points out a real weakness of many people's approach to FFT analysis -
windowing.  When I was doing vibration analysis for Kodak we used a B&K 2032
audio spectrum analyzer, which is of course an FFT analyzer.  Later we moved
up to their multiple channel in, multiple channel out FFT analyzer (whose
model number I don't recall).  I was able to borrow the 2032 a couple times
and put on demonstrations at our local ham club showing filter shapes and
the like.

As a full time analyst (at that time) I was sent to school several times to
learn FFT analysis.  One of the first things we learned was about windowing
of the signal. As Jerry says, the results are useless without this.  And if
you do not select the right window, the right sampling rate, the right
number of averages, and a host of other parameters, you will get garbage.
However, often the garbage looks reasonable - its just wrong.  :)  This was
fun.

We also used software to post-process the signals.  My favorite was the well
known MeScope software, written by Mark Richardson, of which I was a beta
tester.  Recently I discovered that this software is being used today to
analyze the vibration signatures of wind turbines, as part of a predictive
maintenance program.  I ought to call Mark and say Hi and ask how that
application is working out.

I agree that I doubt very much that there is enough computing horsepower in
the Orion to take this brute force approach.

I'd would STILL like to hear from Ten Tec who could lay the whole argument
to rest with an authoritative response.

Oh well.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ