Re: [TenTec] Eliminating CW as a License Requirement

To: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eliminating CW as a License Requirement
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:15:06 -0500
> I'm sorry but I don't buy the analogy.  CW is a mode that most of us
> enjoy.

I fully agree, Carl.  When early renditions of phone were introduced  just
after WWI, CW had already begun its decline as an imperative mode.  We held
on to the notion that its a necessary requirement for another 85 years --
even after the introduction of digital services in the '70s.

While I'm of the opinion that testing for CW proficiency should not be an
absolute requirement for HF access, I do believe that we should retain a
10WPM proficiency for Extra-class and keep the existing 25 kHz or so of
reserved spectrum on most HF bands.   My rationale for 10 WPM is simply for
historical preservation and goes back to the requirements of the first
amateur exams administered by the FCC in 1912.

After conducting some research this weekend, I could go back as far as 1921
when it appeared two levels of licenses classes existed -- both of which
required proficiency of Continental Morse at 10 WPM.   Further, in 1934,
shortly after the enactment of the Communications Act, three classes of
licenses existed -- Classes A, B, and C (conditional).  Each required CW
proficiency at 13 WPM.

Those of us licensed during the past 30+ years probably think that the
barrier to entry keeps getting easier - and it has during this period of
time, but the apex of complexity really began in the 1960s with the FCC's
adoption of "Incentive Licensing."  Until then, the written exams were
unequivocally harder than the M/C exams today, but for many decades, the
highest class of license between 1912 and the 1960 required no more than 13
WPM -- and this, at a time when CW was more important then ever.

Circling back, I would like to see the League file a Petition for
Reconsideration that re-establishes the first CW testing speed of 10WPM for
historical preservation for the Extra class -- and to keep the existing CW
spectrum benefit while making no further distinction for any other mode.

Paul, W9AC