Re: [TenTec] Eliminating CW as a License Requirement

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eliminating CW as a License Requirement
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:39:28 +0200
On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 07:15:06AM -0500, Paul Christensen wrote:

> While I'm of the opinion that testing for CW proficiency should not be an
> absolute requirement for HF access, I do believe that we should retain a
> 10WPM proficiency for Extra-class and keep the existing 25 kHz or so of
> reserved spectrum on most HF bands.   My rationale for 10 WPM is simply for
> historical preservation and goes back to the requirements of the first
> amateur exams administered by the FCC in 1912.

It does make sense, an EXTRA class license for EXTRA skills. Since the
Morse code option is gone, possibly make it an option. A written test,
AND some other skill test (build a radio?) or a Morse test in exchange
for the skill test. Or better yet, skip the test altogether and require
25 QSL cards for CW QSOs. In English for the bureaucrats, 25 verified
conversations in Morse code with other hams.

> After conducting some research this weekend, I could go back as far as 1921
> when it appeared two levels of licenses classes existed -- both of which
> required proficiency of Continental Morse at 10 WPM.   Further, in 1934,
> shortly after the enactment of the Communications Act, three classes of
> licenses existed -- Classes A, B, and C (conditional).  Each required CW
> proficiency at 13 WPM.

That's the ARRL's doing. They wanted to increase the code speed from
10wpm to 12.5. It seems that at 11-12 WPM, people who can learn code
"peak". It's a lot more work for them to go to 12.5 WPM. The FCC agreed
but could not figure out how to reliably test for 12.5, so they went to
13.

> Circling back, I would like to see the League file a Petition for
> Reconsideration that re-establishes the first CW testing speed of 10WPM for
> historical preservation for the Extra class -- and to keep the existing CW
> spectrum benefit while making no further distinction for any other mode.

I don't think it will ever happen. The FCC is trying to eliminate work.

To repeat myself, I think the only way to preserve CW is to make new
hams feel that it is a benefit to them. If you make a new ham feel that
he is second class because he did not take a Morse test, you will find
the second class citizens pushing you off the map. Make them feel welcome
and make them want to use CW, and you will see it prosper.

To keep it barely relevant to Ten-Tec, IMHO, unfortunately the CW function of
Japanese ham rigs will degenerate to an option no one uses. Ten-Tec may
well become the "last man standing" in the field of commercially made ham
rigs that perform well on CW.

73,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838