Re: [TenTec] TX EQ = -14 dB for PSK31

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TX EQ = -14 dB for PSK31
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:40:04 -0600
Ron Castro (N6IE) said:
"Since PSK-31 works by shifting phase, the amplitude variations caused by ALC
shouldn't have any significant effect on either the IMD or readability of
this signal."
Ron, we are going to have to disagree on this one. Anytime you introduce a
nonlinearity into the system producing PSK31 signals you will generate
unintended sidebands. You may do that by overdriving the audio stage or the PA
, or you can do that by introducing any nonlinearity into the RF amplifiers,
including the final stage.   Certainly, massively overdriving the signal, as
you described, is one way to cause a problem. Of course, using speech
processing - which introduces distortion into the signal, - will also cause
serious sideband distortion and excessively wide signals. The problems caused
by ALC making the final non-linear is probably a function of how much ALC
action is invoked. But I think any distortion isn't helpful in this mode and
creates a wide signal that isn't appreciated by other users.

This is a pretty good presentation on PSK and tuning a rig (Worth looking at)
http://kk7uq.com/html/download/IMD%20Presentation.pdf . I think you will always
find that papers on this mode recommend low, or if possible, NO ALC action.
73. Merle - W0EWM