[TenTec] Orion II 8 Pin DIN

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II 8 Pin DIN
From: "George" <geo@KeoBeer.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:50:54 +0000
Hi Folks, I'm new to this reflector so sorry if this topic has been covered
before.

I am shortly due to take delivery of an Orion II with a few extra bits and
pieces.
I didn't order a microphone however as I have two TenTec type 705 mikes here
remaining from the days of owning  an Omni 5 and 6. As you probably know
this is an Electret type mike which used an internal 9v battery.
I believe that this mike is no longer made by TT.

Anyway my plan is to do away with the internal battery that the 705 used and
use the 10v source from the Orion.
The obvious change is the new type 8-pin connector and I have one of those
attached to an old Yaesu mike that I can use here so no problem with that. I
also notice that when I removed the old 4-pin plug, to my delight that there
is a spare wire within the curly chord, a green one that was not connected
at either end, so I intend to use this as the +10v source needed for the
Electret and available from the Orion II on pin 2.

It looks like a nice easy job to do in preparation for the new arrival and
will give new lease of life to a mike that has been lying around for a while

My question is I wonder if any of you have done this mod and what kind of
results you had, I only use SSB once a week normally for a sked but I would
like to think that I am not wasting my time and will put out some decent
audio.

Any comments fully appreciated.

George 5B4AGC