Re: [TenTec] grounding

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] grounding
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:52:23 -0500
Let's say for sake of discussion that you have a shack position close enough
to physical earth (and your array of ground rods and buried wire) that you
can have an excellent, much less than 1/4 wave ground, made of broad strap,
at all frequencies except 10 meters.  So, for 10 meters, you use a tuned
ground strap centered where you normally operate.  It seems to me that this
"longer" ground strap will not become a radiator at the lower frequencies
because it is in parallel with the real short strap, and thus is effectively
"shorted out" RF-wise by that short strap.  Not so ?  If one has several
impedances in parallel with a short circuit, is not the whole thing then a
short circuit ?  And hence a zero (well, close to zero) impedance ground ?

73 de Gary, AA2IZ