[TenTec] QSK - was Omni VI vs Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QSK - was Omni VI vs Orion
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:19:20 -0600
Like so many other Orion capabilities, the version of firmware used in the
Orion makes a significant difference in the QSK performance.  I have also run
tests similar to the ones that Martin's (AA6E) website discusses. Using an S9
carrier I see a narrow window of receive, running V1.373b5, between code
elements (Dits) up to about 30-31WPM, similar to Martin's results (That is with
the full 199 Filter taps). With the V2.059d I measure the same narrow window of
receive up to about 20-21 WPM. There are significant performance differences
between the V1 firmware and the V2 firmware.  I agree that your definition of
QSK performance (Between code elements - between characters - between words)
will change how/what you perceive as the QSK performance.
73 Merle - W0EWM