Re: [TenTec] Orion RF issue

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion RF issue
From: "Larry Menzel" <retire@means.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:26:47 -0600
I agree with others on this, it seems that the only time I suffered from
this was with very high swr, significant voltage drop, or the wrong antenna.

The Orion must have a solid 25 amp supply, so if it's only say an Astron
RM25 you need to make sure that the radio is the only thing on that supply.
An RS or RM 35 is a better bet, yet.

I guess that would be my recommendation, as well, but I'm curious about your
tying your shack ground to the tower ground;  I remember well, many sources
stating that under no circumstances should the two be connected.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

It would seem foolhardy to me to do so, as a strike on the tower would be
instantly transmitted to the station grounds and could cause significant
damage...assuming of course that all other precautions had been taken,
unplugging equipment, etc., but I never unhook my ground system on my shack.

Curious.

Larry, N0XB