Re: [TenTec] Orion RF issue

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion RF issue
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:01:00 -0500
Try to transmit into a dummy load.  If it's your DC connection (as
suggested by others), your "white screen" should show up.

Your DC current draw might be higher when feeding an antenna with VSWR >
1.0 than for the dummy load.  Best to measure your DC voltage (at the
rig connector) and be sure you have some reasonable margin above the
white-screen threshold.

It's unfortunate that TT's design is so sensitive to low voltage.  If
the LCD screen quits much before the rest of the rig, I think they could
do better.  Has anyone done a test to see how low you can go and still
operate reliably? (without the LCD)

TT's spec for DC voltage on the Orion I says "13.8 vDC nominal".  If
they don't spec a minimum (or maximum) voltage, that says something...
(Your message here!)

With all the computing power available, why don't we have built-in
voltage/current/temperature sensing?  The rig could flash a message and
fold back the RF power if there is too much DC droop, etc....

73 Martin AA6E