Re: [TenTec] Paragon Problem -spurs on either side of carrier

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon Problem -spurs on either side of carrier
From: joel hallas <jrhallas@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 16:22:10 -0500
Mike,

Good observation, my Paragon gets very clicky much below about 12 V. I
am running it on a UPS system "12 V" AGM deep cycle battery and charger
(described in my QST article in Dec 03), along with a W4RRY Battery
Booster that keeps it at 13.8 V if I lose ac power, until the battery
drops to 10.5 (QST Oct 05)

Well, I went to measure, just to be sure, and everything was as expected
- voltage wise. What surprised me was that the problem has now gone
away. I would attribute it to contact resistance being cleaned up in the
measurement process - except that previously it had the same problem
with the TT ac supply and is now clean with that as well. I guess it
could have been contact resistance at the main power connector at the
back of the radio. Or the radio perhaps decided that it had tortured me
enuf! <g>

Thanks again & 73, Joel, W1ZR