Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 HW Noise Blanker

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 HW Noise Blanker
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:48:52 -0600
On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 21:14 -0500, Toby Pennington wrote:
> It's too bad that modern transceivers don't incorporate some of the features
> such as the MFJ 1026 exhibits.  By using a noise canceller ahead of the
> antenna input you can null the offending noise before it gets into the
> receiver.
>
> Of course then you would have to install some kind of noise antenna by which
> you could phase or null the noise out.
>
> I believe that in the next ten years noise will be one of the major problems
> for ham radio operators.  There are more and more part 15 devices coming out
> on the market now,  and it just keeps getting worse as time goes by, not to
> mention power line problems.
>
> I suggest that some of the manufacturers look in to this and see what can be
> with adding noise cancellers like the MFJ1026 unit.  There may be others,
> but I am just familiar with this particular one.
>
> It would be great to see Ten Tec incorporate such a device in their rigs.
>
> Toby  W4CAK

That's exactly how the Collins noise blankers worked for the KWM-2 and
the S-line more than 40 years ago. They used a 40 MHz antenna for the
noise receiver thinking mostly automotive ignition noise and close by
power line noise. Wouldn't work well on 75 meters with a line noise
source a mile away.

73, Jerry, K0CQ