Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 HW Noise Blanker

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 HW Noise Blanker
From: joel hallas <jrhallas@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:26:12 -0500
Jerry,

That not quite what Toby's talking about.

The old noise blankers used a noise sample in a wideband receiver to
perform a short (not extended by selective filters) duration receive
mute, much like current noise blanlers operate except they pull a sample
at the operating frequency from early in the receiver.

The noise cancellers work in a different way. Instead of shutting off
the receiver they have a phase and amplitude adjustment that allows the
noise reduction signal to cancel the input from the regular antenna.
This allows removal of even CW signals, or in band QRM if the directions
are different. See Aug 06 QST, p 45 for more, if you like.

73, Joel Hallas, W1ZR