[TenTec] Bandpass Filters...

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Bandpass Filters...
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:02:11 -0600

> Try the bandpass tuning with the filters you have. You will
> find you can crank it down to virtually nothing (but not with
> as steep skirts as the narrow filter would have) and it will
> do quit good at narrow CW reception.

It's fun playing with the filters and the bandpass tuning control and
listening to the effects in congested/crowded conditions.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I did this a few months ago
while getting back into PSK and RTTY.

If you have PSK software with the waterfall window (download MixW or another
free PSK software--I think they all have the waterfall), you can use it to
visually see the effects of bandpass filtes and bandpass tuning.  Not only
BPF, but Notch, RF gain, and Attenuation.  It's pretty interesting to
visually see what's happening when those controls are manipulated.

When you run up the RF gain and/or AF gain to where you see the baseband
noise, you can then see the actual width of the bandpass and see it move as
you use BPF tuning.  Same with the Notch control.

If you haven't tried this, do so.  It's very illuminating.  And fun.

73,
Dale, kg5u