Re: [TenTec] Opinions wanted please about getting a second qrp rig

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Opinions wanted please about getting a second qrp rig
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:18:31 EST
When you say "mobile," do you mean you plan to run it mobile or do you mean
"capable of being moved around?"

The Scout is getting a little long in the tooth, the plug-in band modules
are a pain to carry around and deal with.  It jumps frequency.  But it  does
make 50 watts.  I had one and got rid of it after the novelty wore  off.

The newer Argo V is much easier to handle but is only 20W.  It is very  easy
to hook up for PSK.  Available used for around $625.  I have one  with a
PowerMite miniature power supply and it makes a nice portable rig to take  on
vacation - provided I put up a resonant antenna.  Anything more  challenging
will
require a tuner.

Neither one comes with a built in antenna tuner.

For CW-only portable fun and games, the Elecraft K1 or KX1 are hard to  beat.
 Small, light and with built in antenna tuner. 5 watt max.   Building it is
not that hard or you can find one already assembled.

If you are talking "car-mobile." I don't think you can beat the Yaesu  FT100D
with a small screwdriver or Hamsticks.  Available used for less than  $600.
Full 100w and adds 2/440 for a bonus.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA