[TenTec] Some thoughts / replies

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Some thoughts / replies
From: Rich Holoch <rholoch@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 05:56:37 -0800
I had a couple good questions. First - why do I like the Orion II and
Centurion better than the 7800 and PW-1? And what about my XYL
situation?

1) Value - I have only bought 2 things in my life that I regretted,
and the number one reason is because as much as I liked the high
priced item - I always had buyers remorse.  I am "self made", and
have been a computer programmer for 25 years, put myself through
college (small state college in Pennsylvania - Lock Haven), and am
very pragmatic and practical. So the "wow" factor of the Icom gear
wore off very quickly - my practical side took over and won out.
Basically, I came back to my senses.

2) "Experience". For some weird reason, I like feeling in control of
my ham radio station. It might be because I write code all day and
have automated business processes all day, I really like twisting
knobs vs. a fully automated station. I loved working on automating
the 7800, PW-1 and SteppIR BigIR and 2 element yagi. That was one of
the neatest things I've done - and I can understand why contesters
love building remote or fully automated stations. BUT, as soon as I
got it all working, I had a pit in my stomach. I felt that I had just
automated myself out of my shack. Its one of those intangibles -
something you will never read in a review, but which is as important
as anything technical. The consolation prize was learning and
experiencing what fully automated feels like. Wow - serious
contesters must spend a ton - even if they use "modest" rigs!

Here is the crux of this - I was a QRP-er and builder of all my gear
before the DX bug bit me in 2001. I built and used the Heathkit HW-7,
HW-8, HW-9, SST, K1 and KX1. I have built just about every wire
antenna possible, and love phased arrays. So I guess I like having my
hands in the radios and antennas and hands on the controls - so I can
get a "fuller" experience than just automating everything. I can tune
a non-resonant antenna so fast with my 238B tuner and tune my
Centurion so quickly that fully automated was not the big deal I
expected it to be. The SteppIR antennas are the only remaining
automated thing - besides my (MacLoggerDX with the Orion II). The 180
degree flip on the SteppIR yagi - IS the greatest thing about the
antenna. I've built Moxon's with the same gain and better F/B . . .
But then again - I am not a contester, just a semi-serious DX-er, so
this is also why this kind of station works best for me.

* * * * *

The girlfriend and wife thing is just as important as the radio
stuff. If you go into the shack with any shame or guilt, foisted on
you by your XYL, then frankly, something is wrong. If you go into the
shack to avoid your mate, then something is wrong. Go figure that out
and try to fix it. My ex XYL and I met when we were young, I hadn't
been active in ham radio for years, so she never even knew about my
radio "affliction". When we met, I was playing guitar in San
Francisco dive bars and life was all about going out to night clubs.
Its funny what happens 22 years and two kids (one of them is a ham
BTW) later (hi hi). But she thought all hobbies were a terrible waste
of time and money.

I was very up front with my girlfriend. I told her about my radio and
photography passions - and warned her that if they seemed like bad
addictions to her that we shouldn't pursue a relationship. Unlike my
ex wife, my girlfriend and I do so many things together - because we
are so compatible. She totally understand my passion and supports it
fully. She might even be interested in getting her ticket! She thinks
Morse Code and the geography aspect of DX-ing and the QSL cards are
the coolest. She has no problems at all regarding antennas (she is a
professional planner and even helped me "site" them so the neighbors
wouldn't bitch (no CC&R's or ordinances here). We celebrate with
Italian Red Wine when I work a new one - in the shack no less. We
hike, road cycle and mountain bike, cook, and do so many fun things
together - its amazing. What a difference a couple years make!
Compatibility is everything. I remain an optimist . . . . . but know
what it feels like to be a character in a country song (heh heh).

I have received more email about my recent Orion Ii review - people
who have been through this same XYL thing liked my comment about a
good trade vs. a bad one. . . .