Re: [TenTec] New 7800 reveiw

To: ronc@sonic.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New 7800 reveiw
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:47:19 EST
In a message dated 2/22/2007 11:35:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ronc@sonic.net writes:
> I just glanced over the new ARRL review of the IC-7800 to compare it to the
> Orion II.  Although they have improved on the 5 kHz blocking numbers, the
> 'up-conversion' scheme results in very little improvement in the 2 kHz
> numbers.
>  Comparing the reviews:
>
> 2 kHz Blocking Dynamic Range:
>         IC-7800=114/117 dB        Orion II=139/136
>
> 2 kHz 3rd Order Dynamic Range:
>         IC-7800=86 dB            Orion II=94 dB
>
> The Orion II still has a 22 dB advantage in close-in blocking, and if we can
> project some of Rob Sherwood's test data, the Orion II numbers are about the
> same at 1 kHz, while we can assume that the IC-7800 continues to
> deteriorate.
>
> I have noticed that DX pile-ups are often QSX "up 1" instead of "up 2" or
> even "up 5", and in contesting, I often hear stations 'running' .3 to .5 kHz
> away from each other.  If the station you want to work is S-1 and the next up
> is +40, the difference can be noticeable.
>
> Not to take away that the IC-7800 numbers are still excellent and the radio
> has a number of top features including its beautiful display, but I doubt it
> performs better in a CW contest or pile-up than an Orion II or an Orion
> 'Classic'.
>
>       Ron N6IE
> www.N6IE.com
> (Formerly N6AHA)
> _________

>From what I can see, the IC-7800 seems to be aimed primarily at SSB
operators, rather than CW, and more casual operators (with money, of course)
rather
than dyed-in-the wool CW DXers (like me) or contesters.  The other day, I
overheard a QSO on 20m SSB in which one of the hams, using a 7800, said he had
made
"an extensive study" of top-of-the-line rigs before making his choice.  Asked
why he went for the 7800, he said he was persuaded by the "ease of use" and the
"beautiful display."  In his opinion, the performance of the three
top-of-the-line radios (IC-7800, FTdx9000-series, and O2) was "about the same."

Whatever turns him on, I guess.  I'm keeping my O2 with the three optional
filters.

73,

Ray W2RS