Re: [TenTec] emergency power via generator

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] emergency power via generator
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:58:05 -0600
On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 14:47 -0500, Gary Hoffman wrote:
> Propane powered generators will not start in freezing cold weather.  They
> must be insulated and heated.  Keep that in mind.

Not true. But the propane tank must be large enough. Too small a tank
won't have enough vapor at low ambient temperatures. My 5 KW Onan needs
at least a pair of 100 pound tanks. They typical house 500 or 1000
gallon tank WILL supply adequate propane at all temperatures for the
propane fired generator.

> Buy a little extra capacity, not the surge capacity, but the continuous
> capacity.
>
> Be sure your generator puts out 240 VAC to power home stuff.  Then you can
> (through proper, code-compliant, wiring) backfeed the house wiring from the
> generator.  Then you can power anything anywhere in the house - provided of
> course that you limit the total load to what the generator can deal with.

The transfer switch is essential for convenience and safety. Any other
scheme is hazardous to the health of the generator, family, and linemen.

> Have lots and lots of gasoline  (or propane) on hand.  You can't run
> anything without fuel.  You generally cannot get fuel during an outage,
> cause the gas station has no power to run its pumps.

So true.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,