Re: [TenTec] emergency power via generator

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] emergency power via generator
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:11:18 -0500
Not what I was talking about.   Sure, the tanks will also freeze if they are
too small.  I was assuming they were large enough and would not freeze.

I am talking about the propane feed into the engine itself.  The rapid
expansion of the propane causes sub-zero temps inside the engine, unless the
ambient supplies enough heat to compensate.  That is why they won't start up
if it is too cold unless they are in a warm enough ambient.

My neighbor for example, has his in an insulated, heated cabinet.  That is
the way the manufacturer (Coleman) sells their propane models (at least the
ones I've see).  He feeds it with a 250 gallon tank - so no problem there.

Gary

By the way....all sized tanks have exactly the same vapor pressure at the
same temperature.  Why the size of the tank can matter (if it is too small
which most are not) is that when you evaporate the liquid to gas (inside the
tank now) it uses up heat.  This chills the tank itself, and if it is too
small, its temperature will also drop.  Then the vapor pressure will drop -
but only because the temperature is now colder.   A large tank stores enough
heat in its liquid mass that this is usually not an issue.